Saturday, October 24, 2009

Installing SuperCollider3 on Fedora 11

So I went to install supercollider on Fedora and I was using the standard instructions:
http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/479

But I had some extra problems and solutions I would like to share:
Most of the dependencies I already had installed:
See Here

So basically install all the dependencies from the normal instruction sheet tells you to with yum, plus to be on the same side do them all again with -devel tagged on the end.

I compiled fftw from scratch because when I did a search for it in yum it wasn't there(I had searched for fftw3f), and so I was looking for the solution to get it to show up in scons,(when you ran scons it said Checking for fftw3f... no ) and someone on OpenSuse said compiling with the --enable-float option helped them(./configure --enable-float). This didn't help me in Fedora, however I did another search and realized that it WAS in yum, so I installed it and the devel package:
yum -y install fftw
yum -y install fftw-devel

After you build with scons you can launch, supercollider with this:
/usr/local/bin/sclang

However I wanted to add the SwingOSC to mine, so I downloaded that tar:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/swingosc/
After you download that, in terminal navigate to the dir and run
sh install_linux_system.sh /usr/local
(The /usr/local is because of the way supercollider was installed)

Create a file called .sclang.sc in your user folder with these options:

GUI.swing;
SwingOSC.java = "/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre/bin/java";
SwingOSC.program = ("/usr/bin/SwingOSC.jar").standardizePath;
SwingOSC.default.boot;

So that file would be, /home/user/.sclang.sc or /root/.sclang.sc, and these paths are Fedora specefic.

No comments: