Friday, February 5, 2016

Choosing a mechanical keyboard

Start at Geek Hack, those guys know everything about keyboards.  Get familiar with the switches, I used this site to start with.

I started with what I imagine is a lot of people's starter mechanical keyboard, which is the das keyboard. I knew I would like the feel, and there was a mac version which was nice for me at the time. It was an easy decision to make. I wanted to get another one after that and I justified as, well one that has ctrl instead of cmd. Like you can't goddamn keymap it in linux or something.

I like clear switches for an office enviroment, they still give you the satisfaction of a tactile punch but they're a little more silent. But like a big goddamn jerk I got green switches in my current mechanical keyboard, cause fuck it I want to godzilla them keys. I really like the one I picked out, although now I wish I would have went with my original thought and got the ten keyless without function keys and arrows. I'll probably get one when I can afford it. I might actually go with clear switches next time. Actually, I'm about 95% certain I'm going to get a tenkeyless with topres. Who knows though. I love mechanical keyboards, and I think it's probably like wine tasting, as much as we want something to be objective, it's a subjective game. And some people just love Franzia.

No comments: