Friday, April 18, 2008

Quote for net neutrality paper

I wrote this for a friend, it's a quote for an NN paper:
As a network engineer working on TCP/IP networks, the internet in particular, I think I have a unique view on net neutrality. A lot of people view the internet as a tool, or a new medium of communication. To me the internet is mine, and all the people who work on it. In 1996 there was a declaration of independence for cyberspace. Some of us still hold it true http://homes.eff.org/~barlow/Declaration-Final.html. When you move giant logical portions of the net or physically lay cable down, you know what your doing is just a hack and the only reason it works, is because of the freedom that can be taken with it. I mean there are pieces of my gum still holding wires together that have 50 websites behind them. Having a tiered internet is scary as hell, proprietary solutions, will simply make an internet not worth having. I mean I just feel it’s partly mine, I mean after all my spit is on it.

No comments: